Thursday, April 26, 2007

Mmm, cake! Mastoris


Ah, Mastoris. See, I have been here before - S&E held their rehearsal dinner at Mastoris, then we went for breakfast the Sunday after the wedding. Only, comically, I don't remember eating there at all.

Let alone twice in a 48-hour period. I remember WAWA. Mastoris, not so much. The wedding blur, I guess.

Anyway, I saw the place on the Food Network and asked S if we could go. She pointed out I had been and said sure...It's massive. And they serve massive amounts of food. Too bad I was still full from the pb sammie...oops! I went with a light meal of fruit and cinnamon toast (which is a whole other story...)...
But this isn't about the dinner, this is about the cake.

Because Mastoris is a famed diner AND bakery. S warned me that the baked goods, in her experience of the "free kids cookie," weren't good, but when I found out they had chocolate peanut butter cake, I had to try it.
HAD to try it. *ahem*

So I stopped on my way out and got a slice to go. The girl in the bakery literally took a knife and carved out a 1/4 of an 8-inch round whole cake. I was swooning. Then she plopped it in a box and sealed it up, $3.95. *thud*

As you can see from the picture, it kinda suffered on the ride home, but trust me - it didn't have any negative impact on the taste!

The cake rocked. A three-layer chocolate cake with peanut butter buttercream filling...swirled with peanut butter and peanuts. Then? Peanut butter buttercream frosted, the sides coated with peanuts, the top featuring piped rosettes of peanut butter buttercream and drizzled with chocolate.

You'd think it would be heavy, too much, too much chocolate and peanut butter and sugar and everything. It wasn't. The chocolate cake was light and moist, delicate even. The peanut butter buttercream was similarly light, just slightly peanut buttery enough to tell you it was peanut butter. The peanuts and peanut butter in the filling were a nice change of texture and complimented the buttercream and cake perfectly.

It wasn't too chocolatey, it wasn't too peanut buttery, it was just the perfect blending of flavor and texture.

It was yum-o!
Mastoris - A+!

Mastoris
Routes 130 & 206
Bordentown, NJ 08505
609) 298-5650
http://www.mastoris.com

No comments: