Saturday, May 19, 2007

Mmm, pie! Hof's Hut Restaurant and Bakery


Another local entry. I always imagine I like pie. I like the concept - something in a crust. I imagine that I love the filling, the buttery texture of the crust.

Then I have it and I get cranky - the crust makes me annoyed because it lacks flavor and the filling? Ehhh. Thanksgiving is always a battle for me. I mean, pumpkin pie and I should be thisclose, you know?

But I liked this pie, from Hof's Hut. Hof's is a local Long Beach institution that spread through Southern California, but it started here in Belmont Shore. That one has been replaced, but it's still a local hang-out. It's almost a "chain" (ack!), but not quite, from my perspective. Honestly, we haven't eaten there in years...I think I was in high school. I was always terrified of the place as a child, they had a magician. I hid from him and what could possibly be more fun that having dinner while keeping your eyes dead center on your tablecloth to avoid the wandering annoyance?

The individual size pie is 5-inches round by 3-inches high. It's chocolate cream, the filling in a buttery crust and topped with a round swirl of whipping cream and chocolate jimmies.

First impression - this isn't a canned version of whipping cream, this is the real stuff. Light and airy. Very nice.

The chocolate cream filling is delicate and light, not over-whelming. It's a real custard, as opposed to chocolate pudding. It's yum-o!

The crust is buttery and flaky, freshly baked. It has the perfect amount of crust-to-filling for the small pie, not too much for the little dessert.

Hof's Hut Chocolate Cream Pie - A+!

Hof's Hut - Long Beach Marina
6257 East 2nd Street
Long Beach, CA 90803
562) 598-4070
http://www.hofshut.com

No comments: