Friday, May 25, 2007

Mmm, frozen custard! Scooter's Frozen Custard


When we were in Chicago after the big birthday trip last year, it was freezing. It was November and it was COLD! Well, cold to me. Anyway, one of my Aunt's teacher's was newly pregnant and craving a milkshake.

In Chicago.
In November.
Brrr!

The Aunt, in an effort to make the girl happy, suggested the Uncle try Scooter's. I was intrigued. Scooter's?

Scooter's, it turns out, is a local frozen custard shop in Lakeview. It's like all of four blocks from their house and was closed. *ahem*
But I was intrigued. They close for the winter and re-open in March. So when we went in May, I insisted we go to Scooter's.
And, comically, it was all of 51 Degrees when I ate the custard. *snerk*

By their definition, frozen custard is ice cream that has less air whipped in and has less ice crystals, making it look like soft serve but taste very creamy. That's way too scientific for me, I don't really care. All you need to know is that they have several standard flavors, they make a special flavor of custard and ice every day, they make concretes (custards with mix-ins) and shakes and are now open.

By the way, today's flavor: Key Lime. Concrete of the Month: Blueberry Pie

I got a small concrete: chocolate custard with peanut butter and peanut butter cups. And wow, was it creamy. Creamy goodness. The peanut butter butter, because the custard was cold and it was cold out, was frozen slightly. It was all chunky. And the peanut butter cups were huge chunks.

Yum-o. It tasted like a mix of my two favorite ice creams: Ben & Jerry's Peanut Butter Cup (peanut butter ice cream with peanut butter cup chunks) and Haagen Dazs Chocolate Peanut Butter (chocolate ice cream with swirls of peanut butter).
*thud*

Go to Scooter's.
Scooter's Frozen Custard - A.

Scooter's Frozen Custard
1658 West Belmont Avenue
Chicago, IL 60657
773) 244-6415
http://scootersfrozencustard.com

No comments: