Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The Peanut Butter Tart, Version 2.0


Ok, the story.

I love peanut butter. A lot.

I go to Whole...uh, I go to a local supermarket specializing in quality food near work one dayto stock up on snacks and they have a bakery. Well, Ok, they have a section where they sell goods made by others, but hey, it's a bakery.

I love cake. I can't decide, do I want a mini chocolate cake or do I want the peanut butter tart...which is so not cake? I mean, cake. What's not to love, it's CAKE.

I go with the cake, then promptly dream about the peanut butter tart for three days, because hello, PEANUT BUTTER! I secure one a few days later and wow. Brownie base, a layer of chocolate, a beautiful beehive of piped peanut butter mousse, sprinkles of peanuts and a drizzle of chocolate...I'm in love. It's made by a local bakery in the South Bay, I even google them, for heaven's sake!

The next time I go, I get one. I refrain the next few trips, but then, I want one for St. Patrick's Day. I don't know why, it's not exactly Irish or the food of my people (being that it's my peoples holiday)....but, PEANUT BUTTER!

Um, they don't have it. And they even check in back, nada.
I am bummed. They have Irish soda bread, which is of my people, but it's not Peanut Butter. A few days later, someone from work offers to check when he goes by the store for lunch (Hi, Chris!) and....?
Horror of horrors...?
They say they are no longer stocking the products from that bakery...


I email the bakery, I call the store...I go insane. Turns out that it's not quite true, I'm just the only person in the South Bay in love with said product and they aren't selling well. But they can special order them....woo! So I special order, it will be in by Friday, 2pm...
2:30pm, Friday...I call...no tart.

WTF? 2pm orders come in anytime, apparently, even 10pm. Uh, what?

I go by after work and...no tart. Uh, WTF? I go off on the bakery person, but then apologize, because she keeps apologizing. I pick up some chocolate mousse cake (as a consolation, you understand) and go home.

And decided to write a letter.

By Saturday afternoon, the bakery had called. The store has emailed. Everyone had contacted me, but still, I didn't have the tart. They had them, by the way, they just don't get delivered until Saturday, not Friday. WTF?

Anyway, I am now on a quest to reproduce the tart, because how hard can it be? Brownie, Chocolate, PB Mousse, Chocolate Drizzle (I don't like the peanuts on top, they get mushy).

And that is why I a) shouldn't write letters and b) need to seek professional help.

No comments: